Hide this site

You are here

Information & resources

COVID-19 - Domestic abuse and sexual assault victims reassured help is still available

Harbour Centre Leaflets


Alongside all our partners, the Harbour Centre is working to ensure those vulnerable to such abuse know help is still out there and they need not suffer in silence.

The Coronavirus can disproportionately impact on those who already face many challenges in the home, which can be even more frightening during self-isolation with an abuser.

However, the Harbour Centre is keen for victims to know there is someone there to help.

If you are unsure about calling the Police, please call our 24/7 helpline 01603 276381 where you can talk to a trained Crisis Worker who will be able to advise you on where to get help.

If you need of emergency help please call 999 immediately.

How to get help

The police will always respond to emergency calls if you are in immediate danger and there are many local charities and organisations still working to help you through this difficult period where you may feel more at risk.

If you know someone who is the victim of domestic abuse, we encourage you to seek help.

Some charities and organisations will be offering support over the telephone or online, please see our list below if you need to contact someone for support or advice.

If you are in immediate danger you should still call 999. Police 101 is the non-emergency number.

Silent Solution calls to the Police

The Silent Solution system helps filter out accidental or hoax 999 calls from those who need genuine police assistance.

If speaking or making an immediate sound would put you in danger and you need immediate help, call 999 and stay on the line, then press 55 when prompted and the call will be transferred to the police, who will know it is an emergency call.

Local domestic abuse services and locations of service:


NIDAS is the new Norfolk wide DA service, supporting victims who are assessed to be at medium or high risk of harm. Website: nidasnorfolk.co.uk

Leeway: 0300 561 0077 Email: [email protected] Website:  www.leewaysupport.org 
Norwich, Broadland, Breckland, West Norfolk

Daisy Programme: 01953 880903 Email: [email protected] FB: https://en-gb.facebook.com/daisyprogramme.org.uk/

Pandora: (contact online) Website: www.pandoraproject.org.uk/
West Norfolk, North Norfolk

Norfolk and Suffolk Victim Care: 0300 303 3706 Email: [email protected] Website: www.nsvictimcare.org/contact-us/

Sue Lambert Trust: 01603 622406 Email: [email protected] Website: www.suelamberttrust.org/
Norfolk Wide (based Norwich, and Great Yarmouth)

SARC – Sexual Assault Referral Centre – The Harbour Centre: 01603 276381 (24/7) Email: [email protected]  Website:  www.theharbourcentre.co.uk/

Other useful local links and contact numbers (please check websites for current updates)

The Haven Project:  Email: [email protected]   South Norfolk

Norfolk Community Law Service: 01603 496623 / 07900 153753 (Clients can contact for appointments) Email: [email protected] Website: www.ncls.co.uk/
Norfolk Wide

4 Women’s Centre: 0300 131 7983 Email: [email protected] Website: www.homegroup.org.uk/4women
Wensum, Coast and Broads

Norfolk and Suffolk Wellbeing Service 0300 123 1503 – Lines open 9am-5pm Website: https://www.wellbeingnands.co.uk/norfolk/ access support through your GP or any other health or social care professional, or you can self-refer using the form.  Norfolk Wide

National domestic abuse helplines

Women’s Aid – 24hr National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247 or www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/Contact-us. Website: www.womensaid.org.uk/

Refuge – National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 or contact the helpline via Refuge’s contact form at www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk. Website: www.refuge.org.uk/

GALOP (LBGT+ Anti-violence charity): Helpline 0800 999 5428 Website: www.galop.org.uk/

Mankind Initiative (Male Victims): Helpline 01823 334244 Website: www.mankind.org.uk/

Men’s Advice Line (Male Victims): Helpline 0808 801 0327 Websitewww.mensadviceline.org.uk/

Respect (working with abusers to change their behaviour and male victims of domestic abuse): 020 3559 6650  Website: respect.uk.net/

The Home Office have published a factsheet of guidance on GOV.UK signposting support to victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse it also contains access to information on multi languages. Updated GOV.UK advice on domestic abuse and COVID-19

Resources for staying safe from domestic abuse during Covid 19

National charity SafeLives have put together some information and resources for people living with domestic abuse, and the professionals supporting them during this difficult time. Website: www.safelives.org.uk/news-views/domestic-abuse-and-covid-19

Safety Planning

SafeLives safety planning guide can help you think about what you might do over the coming weeks to stay safe in the home. Link to document

Economic Abuse

The charity Surviving Economic Abuse have produced guidance on economic abuse while self-isolating, as well as practical issues including benefits and sick pay. The guidance is updated regularly as the situation changes.

Mobile support and information available through Bright Sky app by Hestia

Bright Sky is a free to download mobile app, launched by Hestia in partnership with the Vodafone Foundation, providing support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know.

The app can be used by specialist, non-specialist practitioners, other employers, and for anyone looking for information about issues around domestic abuse such as online safety, stalking and harassment and sexual consent. Find out more

Child Contact Arrangements

Rights of Women have produced this guidance on COVID-19 and child contact arrangements.

Cornavirus (COVID-19): Support for victims of sexual violence and abuse

What is sexual violence and abuse?

Sexual violence and abuse can also include, but is not limited to:

  • Rape
  • Child sexual abuse
  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual abuse (this includes being pressurised or coerced into sexual activity you do not want to do)
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Image-based sexual abuse (non-consensual creation and/or distribution of private, sexual images and videos)
  • Grooming for sexual purposes
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Sexual harassment, both online and offline

Where to get help

If you have suffered sexual abuse or sexual violence at any time and wish to seek help now, the following services offer free, independent and confidential support. You do not have to make a report to the police to receive help. If you suspect that your neighbours or those in your community are victims of current sexual violence and abuse, we encourage you to report it to the police.

Call 999

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police - the police will continue to respond to emergency calls

If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone, call 999 and then press 55. This will transfer your call to the relevant police force who will assist you without you having to speak.

Victim Supportline

Victim Support operates a 24/7 Supportline offering emotional and practical support for anyone who has been a victim of crime or a witness who needs support or information.

Telephone: 0808 1689 111

Information can also be found online at www.victimsupport.org.uk

Rape Crisis Helpline

The Rape Crisis National Helpline is provided by Rape Crisis South London. It offers confidential emotional support, information and referral details.

Telephone: 0808 802 9999

Opening hours:
Every day: 12:00-14:30 and 19:00-21:30

Rape Crisis Live Chat

Live Chat, run by Rape Crisis England & Wales is a free, text-based, confidential emotional support service for women and girls aged 16 and over who have experienced sexual violence. For more information please go to www.rapecrisis.org.uk.

The Survivors Trust

The Survivors Trust provides confidential information, advice and support for women, men and young people, their parents/carers or partners via a helpline or email.

Telephone: 08088 010818

Email: [email protected]

Helpline opening hours:
Monday - Thursday: 10am-6pm
Friday: 10am-2pm

National Male Survivor Helpline and Online Service

The National Male Survivor Helpline is a confidential helpline for male victims of sexual violence and abuse. They also provide emotional support via telephone, SMS (text) and email.

Telephone: 0808 800 5005
Email: [email protected]
Text: 07860 027573

Opening hours:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 8:00am to 8:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 2:00pm


The National Male Rape and Sexual Abuse webchat support service can be found at www.survivorsuk.org

Galop - for members of the LGBT+ community

If you are a member of the LGBT+ community and experienced sexual assault, abuse, or violence, Galop runs a specialist helpline.

Telephone: 0800 999 5428
Email: [email protected]

NAPAC (National Association for People Abused in Childhood)

NAPAC offers support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse, including physical, sexual, emotional abuse or neglect. NAPAC’s website offers a large range of resources for survivors, as well as those who care for and work with them. NAPAC also offer a support email service for those who feel more comfortable seeking support in writing.

Private and confidential helpline: 0808 801 0331
Email: [email protected]

Opening hours:
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 10am to 4pm
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 2pm–9pm

Sexual Assault Referral Centres

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) are specialist medical and forensic services providing free of charge, non-judgmental advice and support for anyone (women, men, young people and children) who has been raped or sexually assaulted.

SARCs are comfortable environments, providing a safe and private space for interviews and forensic examinations, and some may also offer sexual health and counselling services. Specialist staff are trained to help regardless of when or where the incident happened and will help the victim/ survivor make informed decisions about what they want to do next.

SARCs remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic, with services provided in person or remotely (over the phone or via video conference) depending on a person’s needs. To find a SARC near you please visit the NHS website.

Support if you are worried about hurting someone

If you have concerns that you may commit sexual abuse or sexual violence yourself or are concerned about another person’s behaviour, or a child’s behaviour, you can contact the Stop It Now helpline.

Telephone: 0808 1000 900

If you are worried about domestic abuse and hurting the ones you love while staying at home, call the Respect Phoneline for support and help to manage your behaviour.

Telephone: 0808 8024040