Hide this site

You are here

Health & Wellbeing


If you come into the SARC and want us to let your GP know you have accessed our services we can contact them on your behalf but only if you give us consent to do this. It may be helpful for them to know so they can provide you with any necessary help and support.

Sexual health screening

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted you may be at risk of getting a sexually transmitted infection (STI).

The nurse and SARC staff can give you advice on how to get screened for these infections. They can give you advice on when you should be tested and where you can go for these tests. Please note we do not carry out the screening at the SARC.

Sexually transmitted infections can have a major impact on your health, so it is important to receive the right medical treatment as soon as possible. If you need help getting to appointments, or would like someone with you whilst you are at the clinic, your Independent Sexual Violence Advisor can help with this.

Emergency contraception

During your time at the SARC, the nurse will discuss your emergency contraception needs when you come in to see her. This may be important if no contraception was used or if a contraception method fails.

We can provide you with the emergency contraception pill if required. There are two types of emergency contraception pill (the morning after pill); one can be taken up to three days after sex and the other up to five days after sex. The nurse will discuss with you which one might be best for you. The sooner the emergency contraception pill is taken after sex the more successful it is. It is possible to become pregnant even after taking it.

Specialist counselling

We work with a number of specially trained counsellors across Norfolk who understand the devastating impact rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse can have on your life. You may be experiencing feelings that you have never felt before and the assault may leave you feeling vulnerable, frightened and alone. These are completely normal feelings but you may want to share these feelings with someone who understands. Your Independent Sexual Violence Advisor will be able to discuss this service in more detail and with your consent will refer you to the appropriate service.